Medistrom Pilot-12 CPAP Battery Overview and Reviews
Medistrom’s Pilot-12 CPAP battery is one of the most popular CPAP batteries on the market. I thought it may be worth a closer look at the specs and what people who have used the product think.
Introduction to the Pilot-12 CPAP Battery
The Pilot-12 battery is a LG-manufacturered lithium-ion battery system that is suitable as a backup power supply for various electronic devices. The common CPAP machines it is compatible with include:
- Philips Respironics System One 60 Series
- Philips Respironics DreamStation
- DeVilbiss IntelliPAP
- HDM Z1 Auto machine
In addition to these CPAP machines, it can charge/power any electronic device that has a USB power connection. This includes mobile phones, tablet pc’s, cameras, and gps units.
The unit itself has dimensions of 7.5 inches long, 4.7 inches wide, and 0.8 inches deep (19cm x 12cm x 2cm). It weighs 1.8 lbs (0.8 kg). As always, the size and weight of the battery is limited by the capacity requirements to power a CPAP machine all night. Medistroms introduction video is embedded below.
According to Medistrom, the battery itself has a capacity of 98 Wh (Watt hours) and 19 Ah. This is similar to other CPAP batteries on the market – and slightly larger than the proprietary Respironics CPAP battery system. Respironics Travel Battery Kit has a battery capacity of 90 Wh and has an estimated run time of 14 hours at 10 cmH2O pressure. This is without the heated hose or humidifier operating.
Therefore, the expected run times for the Medistrom system are quite similar (conservative estimates).
- With CPAP pressure of 10 cmH2O, no heated tube or humidifier – 14 hours.
- CPAP pressure of 10 cmH20 and heated humidifier or tube – 7 hrs.
- CPAP pressure of 10 cmH20, heated humidifier and tube – 4 hrs.
One major advantage of the Medistrom Pilot-12 CPAP battery over the Philips respironics version is you can add another battery to extend the battery capacity. Adding the Co-Pilot 12 to the Pilot-12 doubles the capacity of the battery. The Respironics PAP Lithium Ion Battery Kit for DreamStation & System One CPAP Machines does not allow this, and can only run your CPAP machine for one night prior to needing recharging (without the humidifier or heated tube).
These are approximations only. As an extreme example, a modern CPAP machine running at a pressure of 20cmH2O with heated tubing and humidifier set to maximum requires an approximately 34 amp-hour battery to operate for 8 hours. You should be able to get an entire nights usage (but only just) out of the Pilot-12 CPAP battery AND Co-Pilot 12 additional battery. Medistrom’s demonstration video for this setup is below.
Use it as a battery backup
Some CPAP users live in areas that are prone to blackouts. The Medistrom Pilot-12 can be used to safe-guard against the chance of power outages. Setup like in the picture below, your CPAP machine will seamlessly switch to using the batteries power in the case of a power outage; which will give peace of mind to CPAP and BPAP users alike.
What Reviews Say about the Medistrom Pilot-12 CPAP Battery
As you would expect from such a popular CPAP battery system, the reviews are mostly positive.
- ‘If you have ever been awoken from a sound CPAP sleep because of a power outage, you want this battery.’ Amazon.com
- ‘Allowing me to sleep comfortably using the humidifier for 7 – 9 hours per night.’
- ‘My Dreamstation Auto Bipap will run off a fully charged battery for 19.5 hours. Without the humidifier. I can get Three nights of 6 to 6.5 hours without the alarm going off.’ Amazon.com
- ‘Disappointed in the battery life. Description claimed 2days life.’
Most of the criticism comes from CPAP users who expected a bit too much from a portable Lithium Ion battery system, and didn’t research the product thoroughly enough prior to purchasing. For those that understood the limitations of a portable Lithium-Ion battery system, the reviews are overwhelmingly positive.
Compared to the Respironics PAP Lithium Ion Battery Kit for DreamStation & System One CPAP Machines, the Pilot-12 Plus CPAP battery is less than half the price. ($289 on Amazon.com at the time of writing). After adding the Co-Pilot and doubling it’s capacity, it comes in at about $130 less than the Philips Respironics version.
Things I like about it
Compared to some of the other CPAP battery systems on the market, there are some advantages with the Medistrom system.
- Price – it is much cheaper than the proprietary battery systems produced by the CPAP manufacturers themselves.
- Build quality – the battery case is strong and hard-wearing. In addition, the batteries themselves are produced by LG – one of he most reputable Li-Ion battery manufacturers.
- Expandable – Easily add the co-pilot to the system if you find that the single battery has insufficient capacity.
- Use it as a battery backup.
- Customer service – Any issues have been resolved quickly and without question by Medistrom.
- FAA approved
Check prices on the Medistrom Pilot-12 CPAP Battery on Amazon.com.
Do you own one? Are you considering it? Have you had the chance to try one out? Tell me your thoughts in the comments below.